Then I put up my first blog, made my first post and went out to find other blogs to comment on. This was the beginning of an adventure.
What is an Online / Blogging Community?
If you have been blogging for some time, you have a good idea of what a Blogging Community is.
On the other hand, if you are new to blogging, you may be sitting there scratching your head saying “she is crazy”. How do you ever have a community of people online aside from somewhere like Facebook. Even on Facebook those are initially friends from off line.
A Blogging Community is a group of people who know each other from reading blog posts and support each other by commenting on blog posts.
Just like in the off line world you may know people who know people that you do not. You will develop your circle of friends and each of those friends will have their own circle of friends.
So, that is what a Blogging Community is. It is not really much different than any community of people you are involved with off line. The only real difference is, you only know these people online.
How Do You Get To Know People Online?
Getting to know people online is easy especially when you are all blogging. A great way to initially get to know another blogger, is to go to their blog and check out the About Me page. This is a great place to start getting to know a blogger. Then read their blog posts and leave your comments. In doing so you can start a conversation with them. In return they will probably come over to your blog and leave a comment.
Over time you will start to be friends and may even start to communicate in other ways.
Now that is really not much different than in the off line world either is it?
Where can I find places to connect with people besides blogs?
There are lots of other places to find friends and become a part of a community online.
I have met people many different places. Here are a few ideas:
- Blogs – As I discussed above, this is an easy and fun way to meet people and learn at the same time.
- Forums – This can be any kind of forum. In a public forum you may start following someone because you like what they are talking about. When you join into the conversation, you will start to get to know that person as well as everyone else in that conversation. I have met quite a few people in forums for products I have purchased. This is a great place to meet people as they have the same interests as you. You can be helpful to each other in these types of forums by supporting each other in using purchased product.
- Social Networks – When you start online many of your friends on social networks will most likely be from off line. As you meet people online they will become a part of your social network and you will get to know your online friends better.
- Groups on Social Networks – Groups on Social Networks are a great place to meet people. If you pick a group that deals with something you are interested in, then everyone in the group will have similar interests and you will have a lot in common
- Mastermind Groups – These are groups of people that meet at a designated time usually on Skype or in a Goggle Hangout. During these meeting they share what they are doing and give each other support. I just joined one of these groups and it is fabulous. I love talking to others who are doing similar things online and have similar issues. If you want to be a part of one of these groups just start asking some of the people you are meeting if they would like to be involved in a Mastermind Group and start your own group.
What is the advantage to being a part of a blogging community?
For me the the best part of being in a blogging community is the feeling that I am doing this with other people. Sitting in my office in my house is very lonely. I am a social person and love getting to know other people. The community also gives me people to turn to when I need help. I can either spend days combing the internet for an answer to my latest question or I can ask people I know. It is a lot faster to ask a question and a whole lot more fun.
I really believe that blogging or working online is something we can not be successful at alone. It takes a whole community to make us successful.
I love all of my blogging buddies and could not do this with out you all.
What about you? Are you a part of a community online or would you like to be?
I love comments and love to get to know new people as well as communicate with friends. So, leave me a comment and let me know your thoughts.