Writing a blog post is easy!
Well, that is if you have a topic in mind to write about!
The experienced bloggers make it look so easy to crank out post after post. They always have new ideas. In fact they probably have so many ideas that they have to pick just which one of their many ideas to use for any given post.
For new bloggers though, many times the hardest part of writing a post is having a topic to write about.
Why I Struggled
In the past there were many times I struggled with just what to write my post on for that week. It seemed like I should have had 100 things to write on but I could not think of even one.
- I always felt that I had to find something that no one else had ever written about. We all know that there is no such topic.
- I felt like I needed to be an absolute authority on whatever it was I decided to write about. Well there were many more people out there who were far more of an authority than I am on most everything.
- I thought that I needed to write like someone else because my style of writing was not good enough.
I was wrong about everything. There were thousands of topics out there to write about. New people come to the internet everyday and they have not seen what others have written. I just needed to write in my own voice. Even if someone else wrote about the same thing, they wrote from their prospective and in their way. When I write about a similar topic, I will do so from my perspective and in my voice.
Ideas For Topics
Ideas for post topics are everywhere. You just have to be open minded and allow the ideas to come to you.
- Blog Hopping – I find that I get my best ideas when I am reading lots of posts and commenting on them. This usually brings in a flood of ideas for future posts.
- Google Alerts – To get to Google Alerts go into your Google account and click on “more” in the top bar, then on “even more”, then scroll down to “Specialized Search” and click on “Alerts”. Put key words in the box and choose from the drop down lists below the box. Google will then send you current information on the keywords you picked.
LinkedIn -There are discussions on different topics. Most of these are current and are a great place to get an idea for a post.
- Social Networks- Places like Facebook and Google + are great places to have discussions or even post a survey. Either of these can lead to great topics for posts.
Twitter- While it is a social network it is a little different. Look and see what is trending or being discussed.
- Your List- Build a relationship with your list. When people from your list ask a question or send you an email with a comment on a particular topic, this question or topic would make a great post
- Forums- Start commenting on forums in your niche. Through these conversations you will find post topics.
A Problem You Have Had- My favorite posts to write are about mistakes I have made or problems I have figured out how to solve, no matter how insignificant. I once did a post on how to change the size of the box we type our posts into in the wordpress back office. It was amazing how many other people did not know how to resize that box.
- While You Are Sleeping- I wake up in the middle of the night with post ideas. When I am sleeping seems to be a great time for me to get post ideas. I even keep a pad of paper by my bed.
Like I said post topics are everywhere. You just have to be open to the ideas.
There have been times and still are times when I struggle to get an idea for a post. I find though that those times correspond to times when I am not as active online as I should be.
What About You?
Are you someone that posts ideas just flow out of like a fast moving river or are you the person who struggles for post topics? What are the reasons you have had in the past or have now coming up with blog post topics? Do you have some additional suggestions of places to get ideas for post topics?
I would love to hear your thoughts so leave me a comment. Please share this with your friends now also.